Friday, April 30, 2010

s/w for social impact

off late, I have got few opportunities to work in s/w for social causes. While its great to be proving value and derive personal satisfaction out of work done for corporates, its something else when I can actually do something for social causes. Recently I was involved in solutioning a student welfare and learning program in Karnataka (yet to be implemented, but if and when its done, its going to be something really really awesome. Even better ... its going to be FOSS). Currently, I am involved in another open source product for a reputed microfinancing solution provider, as part of our company's Social Impact Programme. I have tried and failed before to do something useful for my own state in 2005/2006, for "various" reasons. This time around, I have the support, willingless and "hopefully" commitment from organizations who are really committed towards such causes, and not for propaganda or "easy money". More details later

No comments: